How English Language is Learnt?
It is widely accepted that English has been an international language. English is also regarded as an inevitable mean of communication in our real world. We study English to exchange information, training methods, culture, modern science and technology, etc. English listening, speaking, reading, writing are paid more attention and becomes a core in language teaching and learning.
Tips for Learning Speaking Skill
How do you train yourself speaking skill? Practising will get you closer to sounding like a native English speaker and equip you with a global accent of English.
- Observe the mouth movements of those who speak English well and try to imitate them. Repeat what they are saying until you learn the correct intonation and rhythm of English.
- Listen to English music. Do not use the music of your native language when you speak English.
- Use the English-English dictionary. Try and familiarise yourself with the phonetic symbols and the correct pronunciation of words in the dictionary.
- Make a list of frequently used words that you find difficult to pronounce and ask someone who speaks the language well to pronounce them for you and practice saying them.
- Record yourself reading some sections of the book. Compare the sound of your English with that of the person reading the book on the tape.
- Pronounce the ending of each word. Pay special attention to /s/ and /ed/ endings.
- Read aloud in English for 15-20 minutes every day. Research has shown it takes about three months of daily practice to develop strong mouth muscles for speaking a new language.
- Record your own voice and listen for pronunciation mistakes. This is a very important exercise because doing it will help you become conscious of the mistakes you are making.
- Be patient. You can change the way you speak but it won’t happen overnight. You can change the way you sound if you are willing to put some effort into it.
Quick tips: Watch and imitate the accent of the English news on TV channels like Star World, CNN, BBC and English movies on Star Movies and HBO can help you improve your speaking skill.